The Sacrament of Reconciliation, or confession for short, is held on Saturday’s at 8:30 am - 10:00 am. Our Reconciliation room is located in the Blessed Sacrament Chapel, which is located on the northside of the Church. Confession at any other time is available by appointment with any priest.
Reconciliation has not changed a great deal in the last few decades. The process is basically the same:
- We examine our conscience by reviewing the Ten Commandments and identifying those that we have broken. And we must have perfect contrition for these sins; in other words be truly sorry for them and resolved to not repeat them.
- We enter the confessional or reconciliation room and greet the priest. We say “bless me Father for I have sinned, it has been xxx since my last confession.”
- We confess all our mortal or serious sins and answer any questions the priest has.
- When we have finished confessing we say an Act of Contrition, one is: Oh my God, I am very sorry for having offended You. I detest all my sins, because I dread the loss of heaven and fear the pain of hell, but most of all, because I have offended You, my God, who are all good and deserving of my love. I firmly resolve, with the help of Your grace, to sin no more and to avoid the near occasion of sin. Amen.
- The priest will say the prayer of Absolution and give you penance to do.
- We then leave and immediately perform the penance given to us